FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
SPEAKER (1 position)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria would like to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria’s commitment to quality makes us one of the top research universities in the country and gives us a competitive edge in the international development of science and technology.
The University of Pretoria wishes to appoint an academic staff member to strengthen the current research and teaching capacity of the Department of Chemical Engineering and position the Department as an international leader. Expertise and experience is sought in chemical engineering or a closely related discipline with the ability and experience to teach courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In particular, candidates with research experience in areas such as sustainable environment and water use processes / sustainable and efficient energy processes / advanced and applied materials will be preferred. The position will be closely associated with multidisciplinary research related to the application of chemical/biochemical engineering concepts in sustainable environment and water use processes/sustainable and efficient energy processes/advanced and applied materials.
The successful candidate will be expected:
- Teach core modules in chemical engineering (e.g., mass transfer, biochemical engineering, chemical engineering design, environmental safety engineering, etc.) at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels of the department;
- Supervise final year undergraduate BEng project students, BEngHons/BScHons students;
- Supervise Masters and PhD students if they already hold a PhD.
- Be actively involved in a research group/unit focused on the application of chemical/biochemical engineering concepts in sustainable environment and water use processes/sustainable and efficient energy processes/advanced and applied materials and publish in leading accredited journals in the field;
- Raising and managing additional funds from national and international funding bodies and industry to support its research activities and those of the group with which it is associated;
- Extend existing research programs or initiate new research programs;
- Perform assigned departmental duties (for example, administrative in nature).
- A BEng/BScEng degree in Chemical Engineering or a closely related discipline from a university whose undergraduate program is registerable with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA);
- A master’s degree in chemical engineering or a closely related discipline that builds on the previous qualification;
- Research experience in chemical engineering, particularly in the application of chemical/biochemical engineering concepts to sustainable environment and water use processes/sustainable and efficient energy processes/advanced and applied materials;
- Publications in accredited journals or conferences;
- Industry related experience in the field.
ADDED BENEFITS AND PREFERENCES:
- Evidence of teaching experience (at least 1 year) in a higher institution;
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess teaching and research expertise complementary to the needs of the Department;
- Preference will be given to applicants who already hold a PhD in chemical engineering or a closely related or final-stage discipline (e.g. 3rd year) of their doctoral program in chemical engineering or a closely related discipline
- Related industry work or consulting experience;
- Applicants registered or registrable as a Professional Engineer with ECSA;
The annual compensation package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s appointment level, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid plan and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za and follow the link: [email protected]
By applying for this position, the candidate must attach the following document to his application:
- A cover letter summarizing relevant experience and areas of teaching and research expertise/interests;
- A complete CV;
- Certified copies of diplomas;
- A brief teaching portfolio;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three references whom we are authorized to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self evaluation.
CLOSING DATE: February 15, 2022
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not meet at least the minimum requirements.
If you do not hear from the University of Pretoria by June 30, 2022, please accept that your application has not been successful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the University’s Employment Equity Plan and its employment equity goals and targets, preference may be given to, but is not limited to, applicants from the designated groups under represented.
All applicants who meet the nomination requirements are welcome to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill advertised positions.