Capcom Fighters Network, the service that underpins the online component of Street Fighter 5, will undergo some changes as part of an effort to improve the overall experience.
The list of tweaks and changes has been detailed on the Capcom Unity website and will be available to PC gamers for beta testing on March 28 at 1 p.m. PST / 8 p.m. GMT until April 3 at 12 p.m. PST / 8 p.m. GMT. The beta client will be available for Steam users and “completely free for current and new players”.
âSince this beta is aimed at testing our new online infrastructure, it will only feature online modes,â Capcom explained. âThe beta is entirely separate from the base PC client, but the current CFN username, rank, ranking and other details will be transferred to the beta client.
âFor new players, they will be able to download the PC client for free and set up a new CFN profile to play during the test period. All data recorded during the beta is for testing purposes only and once the beta is over, all data recorded during the beta is for testing purposes only. reruns, money earned, progress and player data will be removed. To encourage players to participate in the beta test, all published characters, including Kolin, will be unlocked to play. “
Those who participate in the beta will also have the opportunity to try out some of the balance adjustments made to Street Fighter 5 for its second season of content. Capcom said that once this beta period ends, it will “make further adjustments to optimize the new CFN and release its full version on PS4 and PC shortly thereafter.”
Here is the list of upcoming changes to CFN, as detailed by Capcom.
- Penalty system for stopping rabies: Last December, we rolled out an update to the Rage Quit system that showed a special player profile icon for worst offenders and most honorable players. These icons now work correctly and the matchmaking logic now takes into account your online behavior and frequent disconnects will be matched with similar opponents.
- Loading times for ranked and casual matches: We understand that many players weren’t happy with the load times when playing online matches. There will now be a shorter transition when entering a Ranked or Casual match.
- Battle Room Country Flags: Country flags should now load correctly in Battle Lounges, allowing players to locate the competition in their region.
- Training Mode – Saved User Settings: The training mode parameters are now saved and will be carried over to the next access to the mode.
- Matchmaking improvements: It should now take less time to find an opponent in online matches. We’ve also added logic that avoids being repeatedly faced with the same opponent over and over.
- Combatant Profile Statistics: More detailed statistics will be tracked and presented on your fighter profile.
- Rankings by country / league: Players will now be able to filter rankings based on country or league.
- Friend management system: In addition to adding a player to your favorites, you can now add friends and follow them on CFN. You can now also blacklist players.
- Interactive timeline: From the CFN home menu, a live feed of your friends’ activities is presented on an interactive timeline. Using the timeline, you can immediately add a recent match to your replay list, view a fighter profile, manage your friends, and adjust the timeline display settings.
- In-game announcer voice: The in-game announcer will give you statistics about you and your opponent using data pulled from the server.
“We understand that Street Fighter 5’s server performance has been a less than optimal experience for many of our players,” read a statement released alongside the announcement of the CFN changes. âThe enhanced CFN experience is the result of rebuilding it from the ground up to solve the most pressing issues that will ultimately result in a better online experience.
“The new CFN server updates mark a new start for playing SF5 online and we encourage our players to participate in the PC Beta Test to see what improvements we have in store.”
The last major release of Street Fighter 5’s content was the introduction of Kolin, a fighter who uses the power of ice to summon âdeadly iciclesâ and âfreezing blastsâ. She also uses the Russian martial art of Systema, which involves using an opponent’s momentum against him. You can see more Kolin here.
GameSpot may earn a commission on retail offers.