The real estate company created by Carolina Panthers owner David Tepper in a now unsuccessful attempt to build a team headquarters in Rock Hill will meet with creditors and a bankruptcy judge this week.
GT Real Estate Holdings filed for bankruptcy earlier this month after a dispute with Rock Hill over funding for the $800 million, 240-acre facility.
Attorneys representing GT Real Estate, the City of Rock Hill and other parties named in the case met with a bankruptcy judge for two hours on June 6. They agreed to another virtual hearing – scheduled for Wednesday at 10 a.m. – with Judge Karen Owens.
4th of july fireworks
America’s birthday is next week, but some places around Charlotte are starting the celebrations earlier.
Here are a few :
▪ Carowinds Packages fireworks next Saturday, Sunday and July 4.
▪ The Optimist Room will offer live music and fireworks for free Star Saturday.
▪ The Town of Matthews will host a holiday celebration next Saturday, starting with food and live music by Next Level Band in Stumptown Park, followed by fireworks at MARA Fields and Matthews United Methodist Church.
▪ The Whitewater center will host two days of musical races and other activities on July 3 and 4. However, the center has canceled its fireworks this year, citing “multiple abrupt changes” in the permitting process put in place by Mecklenburg County and the City of Charlotte. A county spokeswoman told the Charlotte Observer last month that no changes had been made to the permitting process recently.
Look for a list of July 4 events this week on CharlotteFive.com.
Bond referendum on the agenda of the municipal council
The $3.2 billion budget for fiscal year 2023 approved last month by Charlotte City Council included a referendum on the $226 million bond that voters are expected to approve in November.
The referendum includes $146.2 million in street bonds, $29.8 million for neighborhood improvements and $50 million for housing. The ordinances will be presented at Monday’s council meeting. Council members will then vote to schedule a public hearing on each of the bond orders for July 11.
▪ Explore the mysterious world beneath the sunlit surface of the world’s oceans at Discovery Place Science exhibit, “Unseen Oceans.” 10am-4pm Monday. Buy your tickets online. Discovery Place Science, 301 N. Tryon St. https://bit.ly/3bdVqfW
▪ Watch NASCAR champions including Chase Elliott and Joey Logano battle it out in Legend Cars and Bandoleros on the front quarter mile at Cook Out Summer Shootout. 5-9 p.m. Tuesday. Charlotte Motor Speedway, 5555 Concord Pkwy. S https://bit.ly/3MZtbyI
▪ Join beginners cluba community running training program to prepare you for the annual Around the Crown 10K, which begins on Wednesday. RSVP online. NoDa Brewing, 2921 N. Tryon St. https://bit.ly/3nd4wMA
Playing sports in Charlotte
▪ The Knight Charlottets host the Durham Bulls in a six-game series starting Tuesday (11:05 a.m.). Among this week’s promotions are Splash Day (water slides and misting stations) and three nights of fireworks.
▪ Concerts this week: Def Leppard/Mötley Crüe/Poison/Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (Tuesday, Bank of America Stadium); Form (Thursday, PNC Music Pavilion); Chicago and Brian Wilson (Friday, PNC Music Pavilion); 5 seconds of summer (Sunday, Charlotte Metro Credit Union Amphitheatre).
Compiled by Rogelio Aranda